Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 10; The Road to the Afterlife

This week is not long enough to explore all of the topics of the after-life but I think it is very fascinating. Everyone experiences the process of death and dying differently and even if we are all in the same house mourning for the same person we each have a different experience embedded in our memory.

Each culture has different traditions and ceremonies related to the passing of a loved one.  I believe there is a greater power and existence than what we can even possibly fathom here on earth.  I also believe we are here for a reason and we need to try and be the best that we can be to fully feel fulfilled and feel like we have lived a good life full of purpose.

The Stages of Dying According to Kubler-Ross

Denial......Anger.......Bargaining......Depression.......Acceptance


According to Kubler-Ross we all go through theses stages at some point while attempting to cope with dying.  Not everyone goes through each stage and not everyone goes through them in that particular order.

I just lost a high school friend who took his own life yesterday.  I have been looking at things he posted of Facebook and I can clearly see he was telling everyone he was planning on leaving this world.  When I first heard of his death I was shocked, " No way!" (denial), then as I was reading the things he had posted that last few weeks I became a little angry.  One reason is that no one caught the messages he was sending out on Facebook where he clearly was looking for answers about the world, and the afterlife.  I was also angry that I didn't see it sooner (I'm not on Facebook everyday).  I don't think I could have stopped him from taking his life but had I known his intentions I would have definitely made an attempt and at least knew I tried to connect with him.  I'm sure many people feel that way.  

I suppose this is a good chapter to end the class in that it gives you many things to contemplate, Your Life for one, we have this life right now so it's a good time to live it and live it to the fullest.  Taking care of your body mentally and physically is very important.  Having positive social interactions with family, friends, work, etc. is where you get your support system that can help you lead a purposeful, meaningful life which I hope to attain one day and hope you all do as well. 
Marci :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, thanks Marci. This thing you said: "even if we are all in the same house mourning for the same person we each have a different experience embedded in our memory." I'm going to keep that one with me.

    I'm sorry about your friend. I imagine you have a while to go before 'acceptance.' You're allowed to be angry - at him, at yourself, at everyone else. You will probably never understand or agree with his choice. Ultimately you'll make peace with his life and his death;
    I think we don't have to understand things to accept them.

    I've really enjoyed reading your work this quarter. Take care!

    ReplyDelete