Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 2 Reflection

Chapters 2 and 3 were very fun to read and really got me thinking about growing up as a child, some of the children I grew up with and some young mothers I have observed over the years.  Some of the topics that stood out for me included Influences on Prenatal Development.

General Risk Factors: nutrition, stress, and a mother's age

Nutrition-

I was surprised that if mothers did not consume enough folic acid their babies were at risk for Spina Bifida.   During the first month of pregnancy the embryo's neural tube which develops into the brain and spinal cord does not close properly.  This causes permanent damage to the spinal cord and nervous system. Many of these children end up walking with crutches or having to use a wheelchair for mobility.  I had a friend who had a daughter with Spina Bifida.  When her daughter was four years old my friend went back to school and became an RN.  I often wonder if she had the knowledge of the importance of adequate nutrition during pregnancy would the outcome had been different for her child. I'm sure she has wondered the same thing.  I have not seen her for years since she moved away.  Could there have been a genetic predisposition that could not have prevented the outcome of Spina Bifida despite proper diet?

Stress-

It is well known that stress is not healthy for adults, it can put you at risk for heart-attacks, strokes, obesity, sleep disturbances and many other health  issues.  It's no wonder that a stressed out pregnant woman can pass on distress to her unborn child.  The chapter described pregnant woman who experienced stress secreted hormones that reduced the flow of oxygen to the fetus which increases the fetus heart rate and activity level.  Stress can weaken the immune system which in turn impacts fetal development.  Another topic the chapter discussed was that stressed out pregnant woman may be more likely to drink alcohol and smoke.  All of these points made sense to me and were very thought-provoking.

A Mother's Age-

This section of the chapter has been controversial.  There are pros and cons to each side and I think It is good to be well educated about having children at a later age in life which would in turn provide a better outcome for mom and baby.  As far as teens having babies I believe a strong support system and education can provide the optimum outcome for that situation.


There were so many other topics to discuss but I am out of time.

Thanks for reading,

Marci

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to study this material as a student, but the stuff you're talking about - prenatal development, how the world outside the womb seeps in to the developing fetus - keeps triggering for me. My wife and I are working towards our first child now; everything I read this week freaks me out, about stress, nutrition, and lifestyle during pregnancy, and how it can carry out into a child's entire life.

    So I read the material, and try to keep from personalizing it too much, but there it all is, huh? BE CAREFUL, it seems to say. This is the study of how people get to be the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like an overwhelming task, shaping the young minds of tomorrow... You already have a great start by educating yourselves and having concerns about the impact you will have on your children.
      You always hear people say "I will never make the same mistakes my parents did", they may not make those same mistakes but they will make their own different ones. It's very difficult not to personalize this stuff and also very interesting to me.
      Congratulations on the new life you're creating, a fresh clean slate being brought into the world, a genetically pre-dispositioned one, or a combination of both?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete